Autodesk Forge Development
Autodesk has announced Forge, a new cloud-based platform for developers working on architecture, design, engineering construction and manufacturing. It opens a new opportunity for us to do Autodesk Forge Development.
Forge Platform contains an expanding collection of web service components (APIs) which can be used with Autodesk cloud-based products or your own technologies. It covers from From 3D visualizing data, 3D model’s simulation to 3D media printing.
When we talk about Forge, there are two things needs to be considered as follows:
- Autodesk BIM 360: In simple word, it is a container of your construction documents within your project team inwhich you can upload, share, maintain and download files. You can invite other people to be part of your project as well. You may keep your team on-track with the latest construction drawings, documents, and models.
- Forge API: This is a set of web services, which allows us to access Autodesk BIM 360, its project and files. With the short list/work of Forge API, we can call web services and do following work.
More related information at:
Please check out the official web based viewer tool at: https://autodesk-forge.github.io/
Projects on Autodesk Forge – Our experience
We have been working on Forge project development for Finnish and Japanese based clients. We have done customization and implemented Server and Web applications based on 2D & 3D Revit and IFC models with the use of Autodesk BIM 360 Documents and Forge APIs in order to detach each floor inside the building. We develop a new function with the use of Three.js to calculate Rooms’ borders. UI of allocation can select (import/export) a color scheme to apply and fill with color for all detached rooms. We are also able to load up to 40 models into one and view all at the same time with the viewer.
The Forge APIs we have worked with:
- Authentication (OAuth)
- Data Management API
- Model Derivative API
- Cloud / Server store and Web Viewer
The Forge Viewer APIs we have worked with:
- Loading models to viewer
- Node selection
- Getting selected nodes
- Changing colors of nodes
Benefits – Forge
- Viewer: This tool displays 2D and 3D design files from over 60 file formats for Web and mobile presentation.
- Design Automation API: With this tool, thousands of AutoCAD (DWG) files shall be converted to PDF automatically and then shall be run in the cloud.
- Model Derivative API: Files are translated across formats, made available for online view and/or have geometry data extracted for use in other apps.
- Data Management API: The data shall be managed across various Autodesk products.
- Authentication: This tool offers a secure measure for authenticating and authorizing users to access and work with developer apps.